GUIDELINES FOR USING PAKALOA TRADEMARKS AND COPYRIGHTS
These guidelines are for Pakaloa licensees, authorized Pakaloa Inflatable Paddle Board resellers, developers, customers, and other parties wishing to use Pakaloa’s trademarks, service marks or images in promotional, advertising, instructional, or reference materials, or on their web sites, products, labels, or packaging. The use of the keyboard Pakaloa Logo for commercial purposes without the prior written consent of Pakaloa may constitute trademark infringement and unfair competition in violation of federal and state laws. The use of Pakaloa trademarks may be prohibited unless expressly authorized.
If you are a licensee of a Pakaloa trademark or logo and have been provided with particular trademark usage guidelines with your license agreement, please follow those guidelines. If your license agreement does not provide usage guidelines, then follow these guidelines. If you are a Pakaloa Authorized Reseller or member of a Pakaloa program, you may be subject to additional restrictions.
Pakaloa’s trademarks, service marks, trade names, and trade dress are valuable assets. In following these guidelines, you help us protect our relevant trademark rights and strengthen our corporate and brand identities. By using a Pakaloa trademark, in whole or in part, you are acknowledging that Pakaloa is the sole owner of the trademark and promising that you will not interfere with Pakaloa’s rights in the trademark, including challenging Pakaloa’s use, registration of, or application to register such trademark, alone or in combination with other words, anywhere in the world, and that you will not harm, misuse, or bring into disrepute any Pakaloa trademark. The goodwill derived from using any part of a Pakaloa trademark exclusively inures to the benefit of and belongs to Pakaloa. Except for the limited right to use as expressly permitted under these Guidelines, no other rights of any kind are granted hereunder, by implication or otherwise. If you have any questions regarding these guidelines, please talk to your Pakaloa representative or contact us.
Authorized Use of Pakaloa Trademarks
- Advertising, Promotional, and Sales Materials: Only Pakaloa and its authorized resellers and licensees may use the Pakaloa Logo in advertising, promotional, and sales materials. Such authorized parties may use the Pakaloa Logo only as specified in their agreement with Pakaloa, and any associated Guidelines and such use must always be in conjunction with the appropriate terms that define the relationship authorized by their contract with Pakaloa. For example:
- Authorized Reseller
- Authorized Service Provider
- Authorized Wholesaler
- Authorized Affiliate
2. Compatibility: Developers may use Pakaloa (but not the Pakaloa Logo or another Pakaloa-owned graphic symbol/logo) in a referential phrase on the packaging or promotional/advertising materials to describe that the third party product is compatible with the referenced Pakaloa product or technology, provided they comply with the following requirements.
- The Pakaloa word mark is not part of the product name.
- The Pakaloa word mark is used in a referential phrase such as “runs on,” “for use with,” “for,” or “compatible with.”
- The Pakaloa word mark appears less prominent than the product name.
- The product is, in fact, compatible with, or otherwise works with, the referenced Pakaloa product.
- The reference to Pakaloa does not create a sense of endorsement, sponsorship, or false association with Pakaloa or Pakaloa products or services.
- The use does not show Pakaloa or its products in a false or derogatory light.
3. Publications, Seminars, and Conferences: You may use a Pakaloa word mark in connection with book titles, magazines, periodicals, seminars, or conferences provided you comply with the following requirements:
- The use is referential and less prominent than the rest of the title. Acceptable: XYZ CONFERENCE for Pakaloa products Users.
- The use reflects favorably on both Pakaloa and Pakaloa products or technology.
- Your name and logo appear more prominent than the Pakaloa word mark on all printed materials related to the publication, seminar, or conference.
- The Pakaloa logo or any other Pakaloa-owned graphic symbol, logo, icon, or image does not appear on or in the publication or on any materials related to the publication, seminar, or conference without express written permission from Pakaloa.
- A disclaimer of sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement by Pakaloa, similar to the following, is included in the publication and on all related printed materials: “(Title) is an independent (publication) and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Pakaloa.”
- A trademark attribution notice is included in the credit section giving notice of Pakaloa’s ownership of its trademark(s). Please refer to the section below titled “Proper Trademark Notice and Attribution.”
4. Web Sites: Web sites that serve only as noncommercial electronic informational forums concerning a Pakaloa product or technology may use the appropriate Pakaloa word mark, provided such use complies with the guidelines outlined in Section 3 above.
Unauthorized Use of Pakaloa Trademarks
- The company, Product, or Service Name: You may not use or register, in whole or in part, Pakaloa trademark, including Pakaloa-owned graphic symbols, logos, icons, or any alteration thereof, as or as part of a company name, trade name, product name, or service name except as expressly noted in these guidelines.
- Pakaloa Logo and Pakaloa-owned Graphic Symbols: You may not use the Pakaloa Logo or any other Pakaloa-owned graphic symbol, logo, or icon on or in connection with web sites, products, packaging, manuals, promotional/advertising materials, or for any other purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license from Pakaloa, such as a reseller agreement.
- Variations, Takeoffs, or Abbreviations: You may not use an image of a real Pakaloa or other modification of the Pakaloa logo for any purpose. Third parties cannot use a variation, phonetic equivalent, foreign language equivalent, takeoff, or abbreviation of a Pakaloa trademark for any purpose. For example:
- Not acceptable: Pakaloasup, Pakaloaboards
- Disparaging Manner: You may not use a Pakaloa trademark or any other Pakaloa-owned graphic symbol, logo, or icon in a disparaging manner.
- Endorsement or Sponsorship: You may not use the Pakaloa trademark, including Pakaloa-owned graphic symbols/logos, or icons, in a manner that would imply Pakaloa’s affiliation with or endorsement, sponsorship, or support of a third-party product or service.
- Merchandise Items: You may not manufacture, sell or give-away merchandise items, such as T-shirts and mugs, bearing Pakaloa trademark, including symbols, logos, or icons, except according to an express written trademark license from Pakaloa.
- Pakaloa’s Trade Dress: You may not imitate the distinctive Pakaloa packaging, web site design, logos, or typefaces.
- Slogans and Taglines: You may not use or imitate a Pakaloa slogan or tagline.For example: “Your Only Limit Is You.”
- Domain Names: You may not use an identical or virtually identical Pakaloa trademark as a second-level domain name.
- Not acceptable: “pakaloasup.com” “supwww.pakaloa.com” “sup-Pakaloa.com” “pakaloaboards.com”
Rules for Proper Use of Pakaloa Trademarks
- Trademarks are adjectives used to modify nouns; the noun is the generic name of a product or service.
- As adjectives, trademarks may not be used in the plural or possessive form. Correct: I bought two Pakaloa Paddleboards. Not Correct: I bought two PakaloaPaddleboards.
- An appropriate generic term must appear after the trademark the first time it appears in a printed piece, and as often as is reasonable after that. For a list of suggested generic terms contact us.
- Always spell and capitalize on the Pakaloa trademark precisely as it is. Do not shorten or abbreviate Pakaloa product names. Do not makeup names that contain the Pakaloa trademark.
Proper Trademark Notice and Attribution
- Distribution Within the United States Only
- On product, product documentation, or other product communications that will be distributed only in the United States, use the appropriate trademark symbol (TM, SM, ®) the first time the Pakaloa trademark appears in the text of the advertisement, brochure, or other material.
- Refer to us for the correct trademark symbol, the spelling of the trademark, and generic term to use with the trademark. Generally, the symbol appears at the right shoulder of the trademark (except the Pakaloa Logo, where the logo appears at the right foot).
- Include an attribution of Pakaloa’s ownership of its trademarks within the credit notice section of your product, product documentation, or other product communication.
2. Distribution Outside the United States:
- Do not use trademark symbols on products, product documentation, or other product communications that will be distributed outside the United States.
- Use one international credit notices. Refer to us for the correct format.
Depictions of Pakaloa Products
- Endorsement or Sponsorship: Pakaloa does not support the use of its logos, company names, product names, or images of Pakaloa products by other parties in marketing, promotional, or advertising materials as their use may create the perception that Pakaloa endorses or sponsors the product, service or promotion.
- Compatibility: If you are a developer, you may show an image of a Pakaloa product in your promotional/advertising materials to depict that your product is compatible with, or otherwise works with, the Pakaloa product or technology, provided you comply with the following requirements:
- Your product is, in fact, consistent with, or otherwise works with, the referenced Pakaloa product.
- The image is an actual photograph of the genuine Pakaloa product and not an artist’s rendering (Note: You must obtain express written permission from Pakaloa before using any picture owned or licensed by Pakaloa).
- The Pakaloa product is shown only in the best light, in a manner or context that reflects favorably on the Pakaloa products and Pakaloa.
- The reference to Pakaloa does not create a sense of endorsement or sponsorship by, or other false association with, Pakaloa or Pakaloa products.
For further information concerning Pakaloa’s copyrights, please submit your request to us.
Last Updated: June 01, 2020.